UK vs USA Costume Prices

Go down

UK vs USA Costume Prices

Post  Blade Savvy on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:34 am

Shocked Shocked 

Why oh why are the prices for exactly the same item so drastically different between our 2 nations? For example, I have become annoyed by my version of the piece of eight. Having re-read some of the articles and tutorials on here, I decided to look for one of the MR versions. I found it...which was nice. What was not so nice was the cost in UK is £21.39 ($35.62)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Disney-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean/dp/B000MMCRJ8

whereas in the US it is merely $8.99!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribbean-Sparrow-Pirate-Replica/dp/B000MMCRJ8/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_d_1

Unfortunately I cannot get Amazon to ship to UK! Annoying or what!?!***** Mad  Mad 

Blade Savvy
Bucko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: UK vs USA Costume Prices

Post  Banditxx1 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:55 am

Yes indeed. It's the same with germany. And when I order some items in the USA , I have to pay customs charges, too....! Very annoying...!
Banditxx1
Jack Tar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondas42 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:51 am

Yeah, it's annoying and expensive. My recent order from Yordreems attracted a £70 customs fee and handling charge! And they call us pirates!

One thing you can do is if you have a friend in the US, or even someone on here - get them to buy it for you and then ship it over here. It may take longer but will be cheaper.

Martin
Mondas42
Jack Tar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Banditxx1 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:04 am

Hello Martin, by the way... did you habe to pay charges for my tattoostamp or did you have customs problems?
Banditxx1
Jack Tar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mondas42 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:11 am

Hi

No problems but did have to pay charges, can't remember how much but it wasn't too much. The big pain in the UK is the ruddy so called handling charge, this is always about the £20 mark no matter how big/expensive or cheap the item is. Hey ho, nothing you can do about it though

Martin
Mondas42
Jack Tar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Banditxx1 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:24 am

Hm ok.... nevertheless I'm sorry about that.

I would like to order the JS coat on halloween costumes.com but the price has increased to 198 USD. I can remember, that a few months ago, the costume was about 150 USD.
And shipping costs to germany and customs charges will nearly double the whole costs to more than 300USD.

The best way would be a partner in the US who would place the order and could send the costume or maybe only the coat on its cheapest way to germany. If he would need the breeches and vest and sash it would be convenient for both.
Banditxx1
Jack Tar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blade Savvy on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:22 am

Like you Martin, I had though of approaching our US cousins to see if anyone would be willing - for a few small purchases only. Not sure how the custome piece works if it is sent 'personal' mail!
Blade Savvy
Bucko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Capn_Jack_Savvy on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:36 pm

For some unknown reason many European and Easter Hemisphere countries place tariffs and other fees upon commerce. I don't know why this happens but I find that if a US Customs form claims GIFT and the value is less than the actual amount items tend to move through customs fairly fast. However, if a piece is lost in the US mail or International mail it gets more difficult to be refunded if labelled GIFT.

US Post Office International mailing rates have also gone up by almost 45% in the last two years which is outrageous as well but no one has control over that problem.

Many prices, access to commerce, or tariffs are all set by the governments that govern trade between countries. It is unfortunate that our International brethren often have to pay up to 50% on the value of the item due to shipping, tariffs, and fees. Makes doing business Internationally impossible which is why it is nice to see many other Jacks getting into the game and serving their own geographic regions. Jolly Roger 

Pirate Lord
Pirate Lord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down