Weathering my Windlass Pirate Captain's Hanger

Go down

Weathering my Windlass Pirate Captain's Hanger

Post  RobbW on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:25 pm

My loving wife purchased a Windlass Pirate Captain's Hanger for me this past weekend as a gift.  I have since taken to weathering and aging it.  I followed the link provided at the wiki site and started the process using a salt & vinegar spray solution.  This morning, it was already starting to look pretty good.  However, this solution seems to only lay on a nice patina.  I also want to give it a good amount of pitting for additional antiquing.  I read up on the process of using a PCB Etchtant from Radio Shack and a bleach spray.  This is supposed to pit it very nicely.  I will post pics of my adventures in weathering when I get home later, but for now I have a quick question.  Since I have already started the aging process with the salt/vinegar and have a nice patina going, will doing the pitting process with the etchtant/bleach solution now undo the patina?  Will I have to start over again after doing the pitting process?

Last edited by RobbW on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobbW
Scurvy dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weathering my Windlass Pirate Captain's Hanger

Post  RobbW on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Okay, here a few photos of the Windlass Pirate Captain's Hanger before I started any weathering/aging.  The blade is mirror polished and quite shiny.  I'm hoping it won't remain that way for much longer.  From what I have read, aging the blade is relatively straight forward with several processes at my disposal.  I am starting off with using a salt and vinegar solution in a spray bottle to give it a nice patina.  Then I may try etching the blade with PCB Etchant from Radio Shack and some bleach.

RobbW
Scurvy dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobbW on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:46 pm

A few shots of my sword after one day of aging using only a salt/vinegar solution in a spray bottle.  Mores laters!

RobbW
Scurvy dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HIGH5orDIE on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Looking great!
HIGH5orDIE
Mate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Banditxx1 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 am

Only salt and vinegar? Great job and awesome look ... now the blade is very good weathered....
Banditxx1
Jack Tar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blade Savvy on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:04 am

Excellent result!
Blade Savvy
Bucko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobbW on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm done weathering me sword!  Well, at least the blade anyway.  Haven't really done much with the handle part, but not quite sure what TO do with it.  Figured I'd post some closeup pics of the final product.  In addition to what I had done up through the last set of pics, I did an etching/bleach treatment on the blade.  Didn't really have as dramatic of an effect as I was hoping for, but I didn't want to mess around with the chemicals any more than I already had.  To give the blade a feel and look of use and wear, I beat it up a bit, too.  I banged and scraped it on the cement floors in my garage.  I took a metal file to it to scratch it up some and also to add a few notches to the knife edge to make it look like it was damaged in sword play.  I then did two more days of salt/vinegar spray treatment.  The end result isn't exactly as aged as Jack's, but it's plenty good enough for me.  I also beat up and weathered the scabbard, but I'm having a heck of a time getting a decent photo of it to show off the work.

RobbW
Scurvy dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blade Savvy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Looks the business Rob. Nice one.
Blade Savvy
Bucko

View user profile

Back to top Go down